1821-23 2nd Avenue
Completed in 2016, Star Block features eight residential rental units and rehabilitation of approximately 1,200 square feet of commercial space, facing the Great River Plaza. Star Block’s eight residential units feature one and two bedroom apartments ranging from 564 to 1,100 square feet, that lend themselves well for artisans wishing to live in an area that serves as an apartment and artist studio.
Unit Mix: 1 Bedroom & 1 Bath, 2 Bedroom & 1 Bath,
2 Bedroom & 2 Bath
Square Footage: Varies from 564 to 1,100 square feet
Monthly Rent: Ranges from $595-$1,050/mo
Area: 2nd Avenue and 19th Street
Amenities: Washer/dryer in units, dishwasher, parking ($).
Star Block is now leasing!
About The Project +
8 Residential Rental Units
2 Commercial Space
Investment: $2.1 Million
Star Block, a $2.1 million project, advances Rock Island’s “artist inspired community” initiative. The Star Block complements downtown Rock Island’s history while addressing the need for growing downtown’s residential base. The project will combine historical integrity with contemporary convenience. Rent ranges from $595 to $1,050 per month, with 25 percent of the total units designated to live-work households. The Star Block was designated a Rock Island landmark in 1991. Although appearing to be one single entity, Star Block consists of multiple buildings, all under one ownership structure. To further meet the housing needs of the community, this 140-year old historic, landmarked structure at 1821-1823 2nd Ave. was rehabilitated by GROWTH into eight (8) artist-inspired lofts with first floor commercial space.
Star Block’s unit mix is as follows:
- 1st Floor- rehabilitation of first floor commercial space facing the Great River Plaza and creation of two accessible affordable rental units targeting veterans.
- 1 accessible apartment (1 bedroom, 1 bath, approximately 564 sq. ft.)
- 1 accessible apartment (1 bedroom, 1 bath, approximately 675 sq. ft.)
- Commercial space (approximately 1,200 sq. ft.)
- 2nd Floor- creation of three live-work rental units ranging from approximately 800 to 905 square feet.
- 2 apartments (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, each approximately 905 sq. ft.)
- 1 apartment (2 bedrooms, 1 baths, approximately 843 sq. ft.)
- 3rd Floor- creation of three live-work rental units ranging from approximately 900 to 1,100 square feet.
- 2 apartments (2 bedrooms, 1 baths, each approximately 1,100 sq. ft.)
- 1 apartment (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, approximately 900 sq. ft.)
In celebration of its 10th Anniversary in 2013, Modern Woodmen Bank was the first contributor to the Star Block project. The Bank donated $10,000 to GROWTH for predevelopment costs associated with the Star Block redevelopment effort in January 2013. “We are the only bank headquartered in downtown Rock Island and have a strong local economic impact,” said Steve Ollenburg, president and CEO of Modern Woodmen Bank. “To commemorate 10 years, we wanted to further our commitment to the downtown community.”
“The fact that this project will help veterans is particularly important to us,” said W. Kenny Massey, Modern Woodmen Bank chairman of the Board of Directors and Modern Woodmen president and CEO. “These heroes deserve housing that is accessible and affordable.”
Community Alignment: Advancing an Artist-Inspired Community
Situated in the heart of downtown Rock Island, Star Block complements downtown Rock Island’s history while addressing the need for growing downtown’s residential base. Star Block’s eight residential units feature one and two bedroom apartments ranging from 564 to 1,100 square feet, that lend themselves well for artisans wishing to live in an area that serves as an apartment and artist studio, thus advancing the City’s Art Plan, approved by City Council in 2015.
Star Block also advances the City’s Artspace Report, approved by City Council in 2008. The Artspace report’s findings clearly supported a moderately sized “live work” project, with 81 artists interested in relocating to such a development. Star Block advances the City’s Economic Development Strategic Plan, and will allow its residents easy access to many local employers and amenities.
Star Block also represents a comprehensive approach to the new Downtown Strategic Plan that advances the following objectives:
- Establish a self-sustaining, exciting mixed-used environment with a critical mass of activity
- Improve Downtown’s appearance, unique physical character, and overall “sense of place”
- Capitalize on existing assets and nearby activity generators
- Achieve a balance between preservation and new development
- Improve the overall friendliness, efficiency, and safety of all modes of downtown transportation
- Advance the City’s Arts Plan
Star Block – Commercial
Soi 2 Thai Street Food, a brand new Thai restaurant, invested more than $30,000 into its location at 1825 2nd Ave. Opened in May 2015, the restaurant continues to grow and expand, and receiving rave reviews on their signature Thai dishes.
El Patron Mexican Restaurant relocated and tripled their available space by relocating and expanding from its original location downtown into its new location at 1827-29 2nd Ave. Opened mid-October 2015, El Patron offers has an expanded menu and expanded staff to keep up with the growing customer base.
Commercial Space for Lease
Star Block Lofts LLC will have two commercial spaces located at 1821 2nd Ave. and 1823 2nd Ave., available for lease summer 2016. The commercial space located at 1821 2nd Avenue is approximately 625 square feet. The commercial space located at 1823 2nd Avenue is approximately 615 square feet. Click here for more information.