Applications are now available for anyone interested in living in the historic Star Block Lofts, Rock Island’s newest artist inspired live-work housing development, located at 1821-1823 2nd Avenue, Rock Island. The Star Block was designated a Rock Island landmark in 1991. Although appearing to be one single entity, Star Block consists of multiple buildings, all under one ownership structure. To further meet the housing needs of the community, this 140-year old historic, landmarked structure at 1821-1823 2nd Ave. has been transformed into eight artist live-work lofts with first floor commercial space.
Star Block’s eight residential units feature one and two bedroom apartments ranging from 564 to 1,100 square feet, that lend themselves well for artisans wishing to live in an area that serves as an apartment and artist studio. Rent ranges from $595 to $1,050 per month, with 25 percent of the total units designated to live-work households.
Star Block’s unit mix is as follows:
- 1st Floor- rehabilitation of first floor commercial space facing the Great River Plaza and creation of two accessible affordable rental units targeting veterans.
- 1 accessible apartment (1 bedroom, 1 bath, approximately 564 sq. ft.)
- 1 accessible apartment (1 bedroom, 1 bath, approximately 675 sq. ft.)
- Commercial space (approximately 1,200 sq. ft.)
- 2nd Floor- creation of three live-work rental units ranging from approximately 800 to 905 square feet.
- 2 apartments (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, each approximately 905 sq. ft.)
- 1 apartment (2 bedrooms, 1 baths, approximately 843 sq. ft.)
- 3rd Floor- creation of three live-work rental units ranging from approximately 900 to 1,100 square feet.
- 2 apartments (2 bedrooms, 1 baths, each approximately 1,100 sq. ft.)
- 1 apartment (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, approximately 900 sq. ft.)
An application must first be completed in order to determine eligibility. Completed applications will be reviewed individually and can be picked up at the following locations at the offices of Laborers’ Home Development Corporation, 100 19th Street, Suite 108, Rock Island, or online at LiveRI.com. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact Laborers’ Home Development Corporation at 309-788-6311.
Fair Housing Statement: Rock Island Economic Growth Corporation and its subsidiaries are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. Policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.